Come join in Beth Ahabah’s Shabbat evening services! Everybody is welcome, and services are free of charge.
Beth Ahabah offers many different kinds of Shabbat services throughout the year, but they are always interactive and usually feature a Torah service and music from Beth Ahabah’s outstanding choirs.
From September through June:
- On the first and third Fridays of each month, Shabbat evening services are held in the main Sanctuary, beginning with a light snack at 6:00 p.m. followed by a 6:15 p.m. service.
- On the second, fourth and fifth Fridays of each month, Shabbat evening services are held in the main Sanctuary at 7:30 p.m. followed by an Oneg Shabbat, for most services. The Oneg Shabbat provides an opportunity for refreshments and socializing.
On First Fridays, the evening begins with light snacks at 6:00 p.m. followed by a 6:15 p.m. service featuring Kol Simchah (our Youth Choir) followed by a Shabbat Dinner ($10/adult; children free) and supervised activities for children while adults enjoy socializing after dinner.
For Jewish holidays and festivals, and for U.S. holidays, check the calendar.
During the summer months:
- Services are held in the Gumenick Chapel at 6:15 p.m.
- An Oneg Shabbat at 6:00 p.m. precedes the service.
See the calendar for additional details.
There are Shabbat morning services only when we are observing and celebrating a child’s becoming Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Shabbat morning services begin at 10:30 a.m.
Everyone—members, non-members, visitors and students—is welcome to attend and participate in all of our worship services.
Our siddur, or prayer book, is Mishkan T’filah, the new prayer book of the Reform movement.
Here are our different kinds of services:
- Once a month, services feature our adult volunteer choir, directed by Natan Berenshteyn, whose music ranges from contemporary to classical.
- Our smallest congregants are celebrated as well with Tot Shabbat, an informal Shabbat service for very young children and their families which is held about once a month. Tot Shabbat includes a short service, followed by a snack and activities. They are held on Saturday mornings at 9:30am.
- At some Shabbat evening services during the year, we honor members of the Congregation, such as volunteers or our auxiliary groups (e.g. Sisterhood and Brotherhood Shabbats). On occasion, we use creative services made especially for the evening and welcome guest speakers to the Congregation.
For more information on our Shabbat services, contact the Temple office at (804) 358-6757.
Photo Credit: Steven Longstaff